It is the season and we have two new college graduates in the family. At Gina’s UF commencement, I was surprised that there was no commencement speaker to give some pithy world advice for the graduates. So I have a couple of nuggets I’d like to share from my 59 years of experience.
- You will acquire some big things that require maintenance (car, house). For each thing, make a point to write down and keep a log of all maintenance/repairs/improvements you make. Eg. oil changes, house painting, battery replacement, washer/dryer replacement, hot water heater repair. Within 3 or 4 years you will discover how useful this is. By 8-10 years it is indispensable.
- If/when you acquire a house, get one with a front porch and use it.
- Do not buy or install white/off white carpeting. Ever.
- Keep all your owners manuals in one place, and tape or staple the purchase receipt inside the front cover.
- Keep your own medical records (this is quite similar to #1 above).
better 250cc alternative to the Suzuki TU250 I’d been looking at. http://www.youmotorcycle.com/kymco-venox-10000-km-review.html
Provided my heel gets back in shape, these are the two halves I will target in 2013-14
plus I should have a transfer/postponed registration from 2013 for this
Mar 16, 2014 http://www.sarasotahalfmarathon.com/
this trip today, water levels were
- .81 on this gauge http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?site_no=02234000
- 5.5 at this gauge http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?site_no=02233200
Seeking 1 ft higher to avoid shoals at highway 46 bridge.
- Hike and camp on the Appalachian trail
- Drive or (motorcycle) ride the Alaskan highway
- Visit fantasy fest key west (October)
- Take a self-supported bicycle tour
- Catch and harvest a giant tuna, swordfish or halibut
- Visit SXSW Austin TX (March)
- Sing onstage at the Grand Ole Opry
- Visit unspoiled south Pacific, eg. Tahiti, great barrier reef
Robert Jaspers Canoes are great, but they greatly limit your range and where you can fish. The nice thing about American Eagle canoes though, is that American Eagle makes a very good canoe and can customize them to be somewhat like mine, with decks, etc. If fact, they got the idea from mine.23 hours ago · Like
The convenience and internet facility of cell phone photography has caused a definite decline in the quality of family images I’ve shot and collected over the last few years. This recent picture was typical of my disappointment:
I realized my ‘good’ camera has just been collecting dust for months. I thought I might pickup an Eye-Fi SD card for my camera, which would permit me to email and post better photos via my smartphone. Alas, my high-end Lumix TZ1 point and shoot from 2006 is too old and not compatible with the eyefi technology!
I’m reading up on camera’s with built-in wifi now available, but it appears the integrated technology is still buggy and causing consumer complaints. Maybe this all will mature a little and I can look for santa to bring me a solution this winter. (Recall, I had a pretty good cellphone camera for a little while in 2010, but I discarded it for my first smartphone).