This wonderful photo is one of the few individual rower shots featured on the row2k.com site from last weekend’s Stotesbury races.
I love this image…its on a 5X7″ glass plate stored in a dark cupboard for decades and decades. Existing glass plates from the time using the same chemistry have faded due to display and exposure to light.
Gina and her varsity “lightweight 8” boat finished 3 races: time trials on friday, semi-finals saturday morning, and the finals at 3pm saturday afternoon. Linda called me from the finish line as the boats approached, so I got to hear and feel the excitement…..Gina’s Winter Park crew finished 3rd, in the medals!
I don’t have all the other Winter Park results, but the freshman boy’s boat (8 rowers, with boyfriend Nick and neighbor Ted Issen) won gold!!!
Update: Winter Park Official Results:
GOLD Boy’s Second Eight
GOLD Boy’s Freshmen Eight
SILVER Boy’s Senior Eight
BRONZE Girl’s Lightweight Eight
and Gina IS going to Nationals this coming weekend in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. (which is suburban Philly again).
I dropped off Linda, Gina and two other rowers at the airport this morning. Those girls are excited!
From the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Sun, May 13, 2007
Stotesbury expecting record field
This year’s Stotesbury Cup Regatta, scheduled for Friday and Saturday on the Schuylkill, is expected to be the largest ever with more than 5,000 athletes competing in 850 boats.
The regatta, celebrating is 81st year, is billed as the world’s oldest and largest high school rowing competition. Teams from 175 schools from across North America have registered to compete in 28 championship events.
The two-day event will feature qualifying time trials, beginning at 8 a.m Friday. The semifinals begin late Friday afternoon and continue at 8 Saturday morning. The finals are scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m.
The regatta also includes an exhibition row on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. by the Golden Eight, a boat composed of veteran rowers from the Philadelphia area, and an adaptive race at 12:45 p.m. on Saturday.
For more information and a complete schedule, visit: www.stotesburycup.com.
to brother Rick, on occasion of his 48th birthday, yesterday!.
And regrets for the fates of your Warriors this week!
I’m surprised at all the acclaim and plaudits being bestowed in the press upon the passing of Jerry Falwell. He was a hate-mongering bigot, and IMO bore little resemblance to a true and authentic follower of Jesus Christ. Here’s a list of Falwell quotes (as conveyed via boing boing, Voices of American Sexuality, and Positive Atheism):
- âAIDS is not just God’s punishment for homosexuals; it is God’s punishment for the society that tolerates homosexualsâ?
- “It appears that America’s anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men’s movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening.”
- “If you’re not a born-again Christian, you’re a failure as a human being.”
- After the September 11 attacks Falwell said, âI really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say ‘you helped this happen.”
- âChristians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questionsâ?
- â[Homosexuals are] brute beasts…part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven.”
- We’re fighting against humanism, we’re fighting against liberalism … we are fighting against all the systems of Satan that are destroying our nation today … our battle is with Satan himself.
Here’s a brand new Falwell quote, just contributed by a commenter on one of the sites above:
- “Jesus H. Christ, its hot down here!!”
This is nasty. Hillary reveals that she and Nancy P. crack each other up imitating the “Muslim lady yelp”; she boasts that all the celebrity lezbos love her; and she calls John Edwards a lucky bastard for having that cancer thing going on with his wife. http://topsecrethillary.blogspot.com/