I just took delivery on a new PC. Its a Dell Dimension 5100 pentium 4 3.0 Mhz, with souped up video and audio cards, and a 160MB harddrive. I bought it from Dell’s outlet store, which features factory reconditions with full warranty — its worked well for me in the past.
The industry rule of thumb is that PC’s should be replaced about every 3 years due to technology obsolesence and software bloat improvements.
Here’s a history of my home computer purchases:
- 1986 private label PC XT, monochrome monitor (local retailer, $1,900)
- 1989 private label 386SX, with CGA color display (local retailer, ~$1,600)
- 1995 Acer pentium 90 mhz (From Best Buy, $1,600) First windows computer, first internet access computer. Ran Gina’s game software “Can I interest you in a hot cup of tea?”
- 1998, private label AMD K5 (local repair shop, $350) used/reconditioned, to replace lightning damaged Acer. Insurance covered this and it worked well.
- 2001 Dell PIII 866mhz (Dell reconditioned, $1,100), this was for my grad studies program and upgraded for video editing. Its served me well…over time I upgraded it with a network card, a video card, a firewire card, a 19″ monitor, DVD burner, additional harddrive, and a new power supply.
- 2003 Dell PIII 500mhz (eBay used $350) this one never worked too well
- 2004 Gateway Profile 4 for Gina (Gateway reconditioned, $700) this is a sexy looking PC, but it’s a little buggy.
- 2005 Dell 5100 P4 3.0Mhz (Dell reconditioned $700) my new hot rod.
- June 2006, Toshiba M105 S3021 widescreen laptop w/DVD burner, Intel Core Solo T1300/1.66 GHz, $600 after rebate. Upgraded to Win 7, 2011. Upgraded 2/2013 with Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 120 GB SSD harddrive ($90).
- November 2007. Dell Vostro 1400 laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T5270, 1.4GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache. 2gig memory, Vista Home. Purchased for Gina Christmas gift. $670 shipped.
- May 2009, Lenovo Netbook S10-2, 10″ screen, 160GB harddrive, 6 cell battery. $300 direct from Lenovo. Screen power failed, and repaired under warranty April 2010. Installed Linux about 2012 and used for spotify streaming in the garage.
- March 2010, DELL STUDIO 540 Dual Core E5300 4GB RAM 64 BIT w/ Windows 7 home, MS office 2007, and 1GB ATI 3650 video card. ($540) Refurbished, 10 months of Dell warranty remaining, via ebay. Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD upgrade (Adorama) March 2013.
- February 2011, Toshiba R700 ultraportable, 4gig, 500MB, Win7 Pro, 3 year warranty. To replace Gina’s Vostro which died and to last her through college. $950, most expensive computer since 2001.
- December 2011, Toshiba Thrive 10.1″ tablet, 16 GB. For Linda. $250
- January 2013, Asus TF300 transformer tablet, 32 GB, w/keyboard dock. $335
- August, 2013, HP Folio 13-1029WM Laptop, 13.3” HD BrightView LED, Intel Core i3-2367M Dual-Core 1.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, HDMI, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, W7HP. Refurb w/90 day warranty. http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-13-3-core-i3-laptop-w-128gb-ssd Woot sellout, $384.
- May 2014, for daughter, ASUS VivoBook S400CA-RSI5T18 14-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook, w/Win8, SSD cache, Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7 GHz ($600 amazon.com)
- Jan 2015, Lenovo Yoga 2 8″ tablet, $200
- Feb 2015, Replacing the Studio 540 dual core with refurbished Dell XPS 8700 Mini-tower Desktop Computer X8700-1261BLK-REFA, Intel Core i7-4790 CPU, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB Graphics, Windows 7 Home Pre 64-bit. ds-dh. $540 from Directron.com
- Feb 2016 (For Millie) HP Slimline 410-010 Desktop (Intel Core i3, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD), $350 on Amazon.com
- Oct 2017 Lenovo ZA1N0007US Yoga Tab 3 Plus QHD 10.1 inch Android Tablet (Qualcomm Snapdragon 652, 3GB RAM, 32GB SSD,Android 6.0), Black, on Amazon, $300. Did not run dishanywhere well, returned it for full refund.
- Dec 2017 Lenovo Tab 4, 10.1″ Android Tablet, Quad-Core Processor, 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Slate Black, ZA2J0143US . purchase record not recorded.
- Nov 2018 Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-132-C4VV. Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-Core Processor 1.6GHz ,11.6″ HD Widescreen , 4GB DDR3L SDRAM Memory, 16GB Internal Storage, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, HD Webcam (1280 x 720) , 1 – USB 3.0 Port, 1 – USB 2.0 Port, 1 – HDMI Port, 3-Cell Li-Ion Battery (3490 mAh), Up to 10-hours Battery Life, 2.43 lbs. $119 on treasure truck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795W86N4/
- July 2009, Dell Optiplex 740 AMD Athlon X2 with 19″ flatscreen. miniform factor, w/XP-Pro and 2 year warranty. Reconditioned via ebay. $460.
- 2012, Lenovo thinkpad laptop, purchased by LSRPL.
- August 2012, Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 (7518D7U) Desktop PC Intel Core i3 2120(3.30GHz) 4GB DDR3 250GB HDD Capacity Intel HD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. $530 plus monitor.
- February 2016, Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 15.6″ TruBrite LED Intel® Core™ i7-5500U 1TB HD, 12GB, Windows 10 Laptop. $650 from Staples