It is the season and we have two new college graduates in the family. At Gina’s UF commencement, I was surprised that there was no commencement speaker to give some pithy world advice for the graduates. So I have a couple of nuggets I’d like to share from my 59 years of experience.
- You will acquire some big things that require maintenance (car, house). For each thing, make a point to write down and keep a log of all maintenance/repairs/improvements you make. Eg. oil changes, house painting, battery replacement, washer/dryer replacement, hot water heater repair. Within 3 or 4 years you will discover how useful this is. By 8-10 years it is indispensable.
- If/when you acquire a house, get one with a front porch and use it.
- Do not buy or install white/off white carpeting. Ever.
- Keep all your owners manuals in one place, and tape or staple the purchase receipt inside the front cover.
- Keep your own medical records (this is quite similar to #1 above).
better 250cc alternative to the Suzuki TU250 I’d been looking at. http://www.youmotorcycle.com/kymco-venox-10000-km-review.html
Provided my heel gets back in shape, these are the two halves I will target in 2013-14
plus I should have a transfer/postponed registration from 2013 for this
Mar 16, 2014 http://www.sarasotahalfmarathon.com/
this trip today, water levels were
- .81 on this gauge http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?site_no=02234000
- 5.5 at this gauge http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?site_no=02233200
Seeking 1 ft higher to avoid shoals at highway 46 bridge.
- Hike and camp on the Appalachian trail
- Drive or (motorcycle) ride the Alaskan highway
- Visit fantasy fest key west (October)
- Take a self-supported bicycle tour
- Catch and harvest a giant tuna, swordfish or halibut
- Visit SXSW Austin TX (March)
- Sing onstage at the Grand Ole Opry
- Visit unspoiled south Pacific, eg. Tahiti, great barrier reef